It was back in April that we posted the news that the Linda Blair revenge cult classic 'Savage Streets' (1984) was coming back to DVD via the UK's Arrow Video. It's no secret we're Arrow Video enthusiasts but we're also quite enamored with the releases of Code Red who've just announced a US release of the film. That's pretty fantastic news for fans of the long out-of-print cult classic. The way I see it the more options for the consumer the better.
Code Red announced via it's blog last week that it had acquired the North American rights to the cult classic 'Savage Streets' (1984). Code Red's release will feature a brand new HD transfer of the film that will be progressively scanned unlike the previous BCI release. The special features will be ported over from the previous BCI release and will include some yet unannounced extras. It will be the first release to feature the complete uncensored commentary track which was edited on the previous edition. Thus far no release date has emerged for the DVD.
Here's a quick comparison of the two titles special features. Typical with Code Red titles there's some controversy around the internets in regard to the transfers. Code red states there's is a new HD transfer while Arrow Video's press materials only claim a new transfer and some have speculated it's from a standard-definition master. Don't look at me, I don't have the answers but I've included some screenshots courtesy of the Code Red blog for your enjoyment. No screenshots from the Arrow Video edition were available at this time. The Arrow DVD os Region 0 PAL while I suspect that the Code Red DVD is Region 1 NTSC.
|[This is the BCI artwork. No Code Red artwork available yet.]|
Code Red Edition
Code Red Edition
Release Date: TBA
- New interviews with stars Linda Blair, Linnea Quigley, Johnny Venocur, Robert Dryer and producer John Strong
- Commentary One with actors Sal Landi, Robert Dryer and director of photography Stephen Posey
- Commentary Two with director Danny Steinmann
- Commentary Three with producer John Strong, actors Robert Dryer and Johnny Venocur
- More TBA
Arrow Video Edition
Release Date: June 20th 2011
- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on Savage Streets by Kier-la Janisse, author of ‘A Violent Professional: The Films of Luciano Rossi’ and ‘House of Psychotic Women’
- Brand new transfer of the film presented in original 1.85:1 anamorphic aspect ratio
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with stars Sal Landi, Robert Dryer and Director of Photography Stephen Posey
- Audio commentary with director Danny Steinmann
- Audio commentary with producer John Strong and stars Robert Dryer and Johnny Venocur
- Video interviews with Linda Blair, Linnea Quigley, Robert Dryer and John Strong
- Original Trailer