William Lustig's infamous video nasty MANIAC COP (1988) gets not just one but two Blu-ray releases this October from two great genre labels. I love a good video rumble and this is gonna be a good one. Each contains some very sweet exclusive extras.
The Arrow Video Blu-ray features an intro and interview from genre super-star Tom Atkins (HALLOWEEN III, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS), a trailer, plus interviews with actress Laurene Landon and screenwriter Larry Cohen (THE STUFF, Q THE WINGED SERPENT) plus Arrow's usual deluxe packaging; fold-out poster, a booklet with writing from author Troy Howarth and a William Lustig interview by Calum Waddell, and newly commissioned artwork from artist Rick Melton.
The Synapse Films Blu-ray features a brand new 2K HD transfers, interviews with actors Robert Z'Dar (TANGO AND CASH), Tom Atkins and Danny Hicks (EVIL DEAD II), trailers and TV spots, Spanish radio spot, motion still gallery, and additional scenes film for Japanese. My review of Synapse's MANIAC COP Blu-ray can be found right HERE!
Clearly both are extraordinary releases, both region FREE and playable worldwide, with some great features. While some will splurge on both editions others will be left to sweat out a decision betwixt the two. A William Lustig and/or Larry Cohen commentary could have been a deciding factor but sadly that's not to be, or perhaps even some small bit of input from Bruce Campbell, then again Campbell would probably spend most of it plugging BURN NOTICE.
So, for your benefit here's a comparison of the special features so have a gander and hopefully it will assist you in making an informed decision. Please let me know which one you favor and why, I'm quite curious...
MANIAC COP [Blu-ray]
LABEL: Synapse Films
VIDEO: 16x9 Widescreen (1.85:1) 1080p
- New 2011 2K HD Restoration of the Unaltered Theatrical Release Version
- DTS-HD MA 6.1 Surround, DTS-HD MA 4.0 Surround, DTS HD-MA 2.0 Stereo
- MANIAC COP MEMORIES - Interview with Robert Z'Dar (HD)
- OUT THE WINDOW - Interview with Tom Atkins (HD)
- THREE MINUTES WITH DANNY HICKS Featurette (HD)
- Motion Still Gallery (HD)
- Theatrical Trailer and TV Spots
- Additional Scenes Filmed for Japanese Television
- Spanish Radio Spot
VS.MANIAC COP [Blu-ray]
LABEL: Arrow Video
RELEASE DATE: October 3rd 2011
REGION CODE: ABC, REGION FREE
VIDEO: Anamorphic Widescreem (1.85:1) 1080p
AUDIO: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Notorious video nasty creator William Lustig and B-Movie legend Larry Cohen return to the dirty streets for a unique high speed collision of the slasher movie and police thriller in Maniac Cop, a blood splattered tale of brutal cop vengeance from beyond the grave.THIS EDITION CONTAINS:
When reports come in of a man in a police uniform committing gore drenched bloody murder on the city streets, officer Jack Forrest (Bruce Campbell) stands accused. Now, with few friends, powerful enemies and a psychopathic slayer still at large, it’s up to Jack to prove he’s not guilty and bring down the killer.
Now, Arrow video brings the Maniac Cop back from the 80s video vault to stalk the night time streets once more, looking for fresh victims...
THIS EDITION CONTANS
- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
- Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by author Troy Howarth and The Original Maniac: An interview with William Lustig, adapted from Calum Waddell's book Taboo Breakers
- Brand new High Definition transfer of film
- Exclusive UK introduction to the film from star Tom Atkins
- Doomed Detective: Tom Atkins on Maniac Cop
- Lady of the Night: Laurene Landon remembers Maniac Cop
- Scripting a new Slasher Super-Villain: Larry Cohen on Matt Cordell
- Original Art by Rick Melton