Friday, April 8, 2011

Exclusive SOMETHING WICKED DWELLS Behind-the-Scenes Pics

Friend of the blog/actor  Bill Oberst, Jr.was nice enough to send some sweet behind-the-scenes pictures from the set of writer/director Waide Aaron Riddle's SOMETHING WICKED DWELLS. The film tells the story of prisoners in an Old New England dungeon confronting the specter of their dead Master. The prisoners beg for mercy only to be dragged to Hell's gallows. Damn, that just sounds awesome and I love Bill's description of the film below.


"Me in the last shot; over the edge and speaking Waide Riddle's gothic poetry in a daze. What could be better?"


If you're not aware of Oberst's work he is and up and coming actor with memorable stints on HBO's southern Gothic vamp series TRUE BLOOD as well as several episodes of the super-addictive 1000 WAYS TO DIE. I first came across his work in the swampland cannibal film DISMAL (2009) and he will next be appearing in the forthcoming film from  RUN! BITCH RUN! (2009) director Joseph Guzman. It's a nasty bit of exploitation called  NUDE NUNS WITH BIG GUNS (2010) which should be getting a release later this year. I think Oberst is definitely one to watch, a horror icon in the making working his way to the top with one memorably disturbing performance after another. Don't take my word for it watch his films and see for yourself. I would also encourage you to check out his recent interview on the Altered Reality Radio podcast, good stuff. http://alteredrealitiesradio.com/arr-blog/192-32511-on-arr-bill-oberst-jr.

 
 *"Me having make-up applied for final sequence by Art Department head Aaron Glazer (that muck was ice-cold!)"

"SOMETHING WICKED DWELLS was a labor of love for cast and crew. The idea was to recapture the Gothic black and white feel of classic Universal Studios horror combined with the literary feel of Poe. The writer and director, Waide Aaron Riddle, calls it "a Renaissance painting in hell" and that pretty well sums it up. It's based on a dark Gothic poem by Riddle and is set in an ancient dungeon where doomed prisoners wait to be dragged one by one into a demon's lair. The whole thing reminded me of Michelangelo's "The Last Judgement" on the Sistine Chapel ceiling; really frightening. It's a short that I would not be surprised to see win awards domestically and especially in Europe. We just wrapped on an amazingly realistic dungeon set in Hollywood and the film is now in post with several festivals already interested in seeing it for their 2011 events. Cast was me, Chris Brady, Troy Mettleider and Fabian Alomar. SOMETHING WICKED DWELLS is on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Something-Wicked-Dwells/100757609993368



"Me in character in an early sequence listening to the demon's roar and knowing that I may be next"
 Shoot was a hell of a lot of fun and some of the hardest work I have done as an actor. Not your usual by-the-numbers horror piece. My hat's off to Waide Riddle and his production company Green Ghost Films for doing something different. Oh by the way, I'd like to invite your readers to follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/billoberstjr and friend me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/billoberstjr  I follow back and I friend back. It's a pleasure to support McBastard's Masoleum - easily the most intelligent horror blog on the web today!"


your fan, Bill

*"How that make-up looked in final scenes; me losing my marbles; a dearly-departed friend is on dungeon wall."

* = Exclusive to McBastard's Mausoleum and not seen elsewhere yet