Sunday, April 20, 2014

DVD Review: OZPLOITATION TRAILER EXPLOSION (1970-1986)


OZPLOITATION TRAILER EXPLOSION (1970-1986)

Label: Intervision Picture Corp
Region Code: 0
Rating: Unrated
Duration: 165 Minutes
Audio: English Dolby Digital Mono
Video: Anamoprohic Widescreen


Everything about this 165 minute slab of Aussie exploitation screams b-movie awesomeness! The period of Australian cinema from the early seventies on through to the mid eighties was very special time indeed, a time when the flea pit American cinemas were crammed with  hi-octane Aussie exports dripping with gratuitous sex, violence and horror - everything I required as a growing boy perusing the VHS store shelves for b-movie goodies.

Re watching these I was reminded of just how many awesome ozploitation gems I have in my collection and just how many more I need to get my grubby little hands on. I don't watch a ton of trailer collections but once in awhile when doing chores around the house I'll toss on one of the 42ND STREET FOREVER discs and keep it on in the background with the commentary track running - something I don't have to pay too much attention to but can enjoy for minutes at a time. Unfortunately this disc doesn't have a commentary track or any other features but it is crammed with a ton of ridiculous trailers. This would make a great companion piece to Mark Hartley's hugely entertaining NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD documentary and a fun background video at your next kegger.

The quality of the sixty-five trailers vary in quality but are generally quite good ranging from what appear to be VHS transfers to anamorphic presentations. Not sure about you guys but I do enjoy a bit of grit and grain to enhance the seedy grindhouse aesthetic of these trailer collections. The menu divides the trailer viewing experience into three categories: sex, horror and action... or the play-all option for the truly depraved. Plant yourself in your seat, pop open and beer and prepare yourself for nearly three hours of unhinged and unadulterated mayhem from the land down under. I wish there were a commentary option on this disc of vintage Aussie trailers but I give it a recommend even if it's not essential viewing. 3 Outta 5